So those five goals, the big ones that are so important to me… figure I should check progress every once in a while. (End of the month seems like a good place to do so).
1. Publish a Novel
- this is a good one to start with because I have tangible progress made! I completed a second round of edits of the whole manuscript for my Fairy-tale story. Not the story I was originally thinking of when I thought of sometime-publication, but I feel it is a good one. We (me and my super awesome Audrey) fixed some show-vs.-tell issues, some rambely sentences, and deleted another slew of errant commas and apostrophes. I tentatively posted on the beta-readers wanted board at Absolute Write and am trying to get some takers.
- Next steps – get beta-reader feedback, make more changes. Possibly start researching agents? I dunno about the last one…
2. Go Backpacking in New Zealand
- Uh… depleted what savings I had, instead of building them up. Major step back, in that case. Spent a lot of time despairing over money and what have you. Also spent some time in an existential crisis where I thought about how there are people who don’t have the choice to eat food because of poverty and what right do I have to go gallavanting off to foreign parts just because I want to see some pretty scenery? (Documentaries are informative, but can be soul crushing). In other words, not only did I not go forward on this goal, I went backward. Can’t really do much in this corner until I get my bum moving on the job front so…
3. Build My Career as a Suzuki Cello Teacher
- I took my Unit 4 training! W00t. That was lots of fun, and quite inspiring. Next stop there is Unit 5
- I kept my one student at the place I was teaching in the fall. Glad I did that because it is the highlight of my week right now. Am consciously evaluating myself on my teaching and I believe I am improving.
- I talked to people about a nearby city that has no Suzuki Cello teachers. Looks possible, which is great because I love that city and would be pretty happy to settle there.
- I… made a poster. No, I haven’t hung it up yet. This is the point where progress fell apart. Anxiety again, but also complete lack of driving ability (which will be solved by Tuesday if I pass my test). Need more progress next month because I am about to run out of savings.
- I need to get in that scholarship application that is 9/10th completed, hang up those posters, and contact preschools so I can come in and do presentations.
4. Create a Sustainable Lifestyle that works for me
- I haven’t even clearly defined this goal yet. Erk. I do know that health is part of being a sustainable human being and with finally getting around to getting to a doctor, I have made good strides on that front. The whole exercise thing fell apart again due to uterus, but next week is another week for that.
- Next I need to define what I want as a sustainable lifestyle, and steps to achieve it. Also to continue my health related goals.
5. Produce, adopt, or foster a child
- Need to complete #3 big goal before I think of this one. Also need to spend more time around small children (part of goal #3, actually) so that I don’t turn into a wreck because of lack of children in my life (if this sounds creepy, I’m trying really hard not to be, but it’s difficult to be an adult who loves spending time with children without sounding like a creeper).
Other than that? I’ve read 8.5 books, done some sewing, and baked a souffle. It was delicious.